Debt Collector Harassment in New Jersey
Kimmel & Silverman provides free legal services to consumers throughout New Jersey who have experienced abusive debt collection practices. If you've been threatened or harassed by debt collectors, you may be entitled to as much as $1,000.
New Jersey Collection Harassment Laws
New Jersey State law provides consumer protections in addition to those found in in the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). In New Jersey, debt collectors must register with the state. Unlicensed debt collectors are subject to fines and penalties.
FDCPA Guidelines for New Jersey
Residents of New Jersey are protected under the FDCPA, the federal law that protects consumers from illegal collection practices, including:
- Any use of deception, harassment, abuse, profanity, violence, or threats in the process of collecting payments.
- Repeated phone calls at unusual or inconvenient times.
- Contacting consumers at their place of business if they have been informed that such contact is prohibited by their employer.
- Revealing, posting, or including a consumer in lists of debtors.
- Using false information to influence a consumer to pay.
- Taking any action that could impose additional, unauthorized expenses upon a debtor.
- Communicating with a consumer if they know the consumer is being represented by an attorney.
Get FREE Legal Help in New Jersey
Our experienced team of lawyers successfully ended debt collection harassment for thousands of New Jersey residents, using both federal and state laws where applicable. If you feel your rights are being violated, or that a debt collector is contacting you in an unlawful manner, do not hesitate to contact our legal team.
Contact us at 1-800-668-3247 today to stop debt collector harassment in New Jersey.